Saturday, July 16, 2011

Someone got to meet her baby brother....











We took Ella this morning to meet her brother Eli.  I hated so much leaving Eliza, but she is too young to go into the NICU.  It was a lot of fun watching and listening to Ella interact with Eli for the first time.  She talked to him just like they had been best buds for forever.  She said, "Hey Eli, it's Ella.  We got a Liza too...she is Elizabeth."  It was so funny.  She kept telling him to wake up and get up.  Obviously, she has forgotten that little babies sleep A lot!  I loved how she loved him immediately and treated him no differently.  He was sunbathing for the day when we left him.


Tonight Kev and I went back for a little visit.  It was the first time I could hardly stand leaving him.  It is exhausting right now trying to get there to spend time with him, but I cannot stand to be away for long.  Tonight was also the first time in a few days that I feel scared for his future.  I know why...I love him so much already and I want only the best for him.  We have a lot to be thankful for so far. Yet, I know there are some challenges ahead.  I know eventually we will get some difficult news, it is like I am starting to brace myself.  I keep reminding myself that I would love Ella or Eliza no differently if they faced physical challenges or were in a wheelchair.  They would still be my sweet little girls.  I know the same is true for Eli.  I know we will love him no matter what we face....I just don't want to face it. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable pictures!

I am a relatively new follower (a couple weeks) and was just wondering if you could briefly explain, or point me in the right direction towards a previous post, the condition that baby Eli was born with? He looks so precious & I will be praying for strength and healing for your family!

Joyce said...

Julie
as hard as the hard news will be to take - and I am not belittling the difficulty - I think more about how you have done everything earthly possible to help Eli in the most amazing way. You allowed someone to do risky surgery to both yourself and your son - risky enough that it could have taken his life - but God preserved him. You did all the post op care necessary - resting and taking it easy, you went thru such constant monitoring even ending up in hospital for days, being separeted from your girls ... I look at all that (and you probably did heaps more) and think at the end of the day, you have done everything possible and you will continue to do everything possible for a beautiful beautiful boy. And he is a real cutie pie and I know your life and the life of your family will be hugely blessed by such a wonderful addition
Joyce

April said...

I still remember so well having all of the feelings you are having even though it was 4 1/2 years ago. The thought of my sweet Ella needing a wheelchair would instantly bring on tears. I never dreamed that the tears I cried when she finally got that chair at the age of two would be tears of joy! Seeing her gain so much independence and confidence was truly amazing.

I will continue to pray for your family and especially for little Eli.

Hugs and Blessings from one SB mommy to another!
April

P.S. SB doesn't just stand for "Spina Bifida", it also stands for "Special Babies"!