Thursday, July 14, 2011

2 days old

First of all I hope my last post about my c-section doesn't scare anyone.  After having 3 normal deliveries, it was just a super different experience for me.  I also was super scared and had some  uncommon side effects.  I do know lots of people that have had several c-sections and they have had great experiences.  It was also so different from my fetal surgery because I was completely out.

Today has been a much better day so far.  I was able to take a shower and I feel like a new person.  We got up to the NICU early enough to be there for rounds.  The doctors were very nice in accentuating the positive.  So far Eli's bladder ultrasound looked good and he is not being cathed at this point.  It can always change quickly, but so far he is voiding on his own. The urologist will continue to follow him in the next few weeks and he will have a urodynamics test done around 3 months....I think.  Neurology also did a head ultrasound and at this point they aren't going to do an MRI.  We were unable to get an exact measurement of his ventricles, but the doctors are going to get it for us tomorrow.  They will continue to measure his head daily and monitor it.  So far that is good news.  PT and OT should be by today or tom. to evaluate him and get services started.  Everyone is concerned over his loss of tone in his lower extremities, but they have seen some movement in his hips and a little in his legs.  I know enough to know it is not normal, but we are thankful that there is a little.

This morning we got to spend a lot of time holding and bonding with little Eli.  We are pretty taken with him and we love him just as he is.  He pulled his nasal cannula out today as well as his ng tube.  He was not happy when the nurse had to put it back.  I even got to try breastfeeding him a little.  For now I am pumping around the clock and the nurses carefully give him each milliliter I bring.  I am glad to do this for him.

We are getting ready to head back and spend the afternoon with him.  We are both so exhausted.  Every time I pump I fall asleep, but we want to spend as much time with him before we go home tomorrow.   Did you hear that....I am going home tom!!  I now feel strangely attached to this place and will miss my little Eli.  I knew I was going to feel this way!








10 comments:

Heather said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and are getting some time with Eli! He is beautiful! Praying God gives all of you wisdom; he is in good hands :)

Sandi said...

Reading Eli's birth story brought back some memories for me, but it's funny how most of the bad parts fade away once you get to hold your sweet baby and it's all over. You'll be glad later that you wrote it down now. Love your pics from the NICU!

Unknown said...

Julie you look great after having a c-section yesterday! I had an emergency c-section with my son so I didn't know any different. I HATED having both arms strapped down and even asked if I could please have just one arm loose (claustrophobic). But with all going on I quickly forgot. So glad you and Kevin were able to hold sweet Eli today. God has great things planned for this little blessing. Watch out!

Jenna said...

Eli is just beautiful Julie! You look so awesome! We are praying for hard for him (and all of you). Your post just made me cry; I know how hard it is to have a little one in the nicu and those pictures remind me so much of our time there. I'm so happy to see you holding him and getting to love on him. Praying, praying, praying. Please let me know if there is anything specific I can pray for.

The Via Colony said...

He is precious!

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie - what beautiful pictures - you, Kevin and that baby - that beautifully, wonderfully, fearfully made baby! Thankful you get to go home - yeah!!

The Carters said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Eli is so precious! I know you will be glad to sleep in your own bed tomorrow and the girls will be glad to have you home. Praying time flies quickly and Eli will be home with you too!

Colleen said...

Well, ya look great!
Does he have red hair?

Jessica said...

He is such a little cutie and WOW.. YOU LOOK AWESOME (not that I expected anything else). Give him a little kiss from his aunt jess!

The Kinards! said...

He is beautiful and you look great as well!! Thanks for sharing!!