Wednesday, July 6, 2011

God works for the Good

I have been blessed with so many sweet friends who have stopped in to help me pass time.  I can not tell you how much it has meant to me.  I really think that someone in the hospital for an extended stay without friends and loved ones could very easily become depressed.  I am generally a pretty even keeled person by nature, but some days I really feel like jumping out of my window!!

Today my sweet friend, Toots, (and no that isn't her real name, but rather the one that she is known by everyone by) came to help me pass some time.  Toots is the most creative and craftiest person I know. She brought about 6 bags packed full of scrapbooking and card making supplies.  I had plans for being crafty, but I mostly sat on the bed and chatted while watching the girls have fun!  You can tell by the pictures that they think Mrs. Toots is pretty great too!  The nurse walked in and looked like what in the world is going on in here!  She actually said she thought it was great! 

 Romans 8:28 is one of those verses that I learned as a child.  It was one I memorized and one that I hid deep within my heart.  It is a promise from God that I believe and that I have continued to see play out in my life throughout the years.  Kev and I have see this promise work in a very real way in our lives throughout the past few weeks.  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose."

Most of you know that my husband was involved in a major head on collision after leaving the hospital the day after I was admitted.  He was heading home to see the girls, take a shower and to pack some clothes.  By the grace of God he survived and not only survived he didn't break any bones.  The driver in the car who hit him did not make it.  Thankfully, we have since learned that he was a believer.  Kev was seriously banged up!  He was so bruised...I mean I have never seen bruises like that.  His doctor said he had the worst chest contusions she had ever seen.  He has been sore, tired and trying to heal. 

He was taken to the ER at the hospital I was at following the accident and also seen by our family doctor.  His doctor would not clear him to return to work until after she sees him again this Friday.   I can really tell that he is starting to feel better this week and I am so thankful that he has had time to rest and heal.  When he called me moments after getting in this terrible accident, I really was wondering what in the world was going on.  I mean I am waving the white flag of surrender!!!  It has been one thing after another!  I really didn't understand what God was up to or why he was allowing another difficultly in our lives.  I was mostly just thankful that Kev was alive.  When he called me telling me he had been hit and was really hurt, I think I said over and over that I loved him and that I could not do this without him.  I really need him and just for the record...I am so thankful for him. 

So, back to my point.  Kev has not been allowed to work since the day after I was admitted.  It has meant that he has been able to spend lots of hours keeping me company at the hospital.  He has been making daily runs down to the food court for ice cream and such.  He has been able to go and get the girls and bring them to the hospital to spend the day with mommy.  He has been here to help me give them naps here at the hospital and keep them entertained.  We have spent more time together in the past few weeks than we normally would.  He has also had time to make many trips to the chiropractor and doctor.  Thankfully, he is feeling better with each day and should good to go for Eli's arrival day.

Who but God can take the horrible tragedies of this life....the things that make you question His goodness and sovereignty, and work them for our good and our benefit.  Who would have thought that Kev being in an accident would actually work for our benefit in that he would have more time to spend with me...and help me to not lose my mind. As I sit here in my quiet and empty little hospital room tonight, I cannot help but praise my heavenly father for His goodness to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie - Romans 8:28 is one of my life verses and your recent history surely is a living testimony of it! Praising God that we serve a God who can raise beauty from ashes! Can not wait to see precious pictures of Eli next week- fearfully and wonderfully created by a God who is knitting him together -