Thursday, July 21, 2011

Just for laughs...or I might cry!

I am sitting on the bed with my legs propped up high wearing my lovely white compression stockings.  You see my ankles have departed me since about last Friday and I have yet to find them.  Kev says I have lost my cankles and now have cankle rolls.  We try not to look at them or we might laugh or I might cry...and besides that really hurts my incision.

Yes, today all 18 staples came out.  Some easier than others and I am left with an infection in my incision.  No need to tell me any horror stories.  I read them all last night and by this morning I was for sure they would be sending me back to the hospital to re-open and pack my wound. I can think of nothing worse.  So far it appears that we caught it early and I am praying that the antibiotics will do their job.

Honestly, I have always felt a since a pride in my deliveries.  No, not that I went all naturale, I see nothing wrong with some pain management.  But rather in the fact that I could push my little lovies out in record time.  The doctors and nurses always praised me as a good pusher and were always so pleased with how well I always bounced back.  Kev and I were talking today and two days after having Eliza we went for a walk (slow) mind you, around the neighborhood, to try out our lovely new double stroller.  We did pay a fortune for it and I will be thankful to have it again the first time I attempt to go to Target with 3 kids 3 and under! Back to my thought... I felt great.  I felt ready to get my body back.  I think I even did my FIRM video about a week later.  Life was good.  Things were normal. No major swelling,  I refused to wear maternity clothes,even if that meant squeezing into regular clothes.   My body did what it was supposed to do.

Let's just say...things are bouncing and it isn't my body...or actually maybe it is!  Apparently, the lactation consultant who has been checking on me while visiting Eli has determined that I am milk cow.  In fact she called me that today.  It is evidenced by the fact that I am producing 7 to 8 times the amount of milk I should be right now!  Oh heavens, help me!  I have had this issue before, but it is way worse this go around.  I would elaborate more but I will stop for the sake of tmi.  Kev did suggest I might try setting up a "milk stand" outside the NICU and save some other moms some time.  (I do know that the opposite problem of this is not having enough milk and I in no way want to make anyone feel bad.  They are both issues.)  I do highly recommend humbling oneself and meeting with a lactation consultant.  I have done it with two of my babies and it has been so helpful to me!

Then there are the emotions.  Seriously, I cried the entire time through my doctor's appointment today.  I am sure she thought this lady has really lost it.  This is my fourth delivery and I have never felt so unlike myself.  No need to worry...I am on top of it and realize clearly what is normal for me and not.  I think the past 4 months and all it's events have finally caught up with me. I am just hoping that this will pass soon. 

Now, for what is really important.  Little Eli is doing well.  He is now completely off all oxygen and is breathing only room air.  He is talking both bottles and nursing some.  I do hope to nurse exclusively one day.  Right now, I just need to get him home, so we will have to use bottles for now.  He is wearing clothes now and has a head full of blondish hair.  He really looks like Kev, which I think is so cute.  But, I do want to make it clear that I have had a little to do with him...I mean...A LOT!!   He has physical therapy everyday and I have been there the past two days during that time.  I am learning lots of stretching exercises, that I will be doing multiple times a day with him. 

He is pee-peeping and pooping like crazy and has a really bad diaper rash.  That can be more common in babies with SB, but they also change him like once every 3 hours and I know I will do it more often at home.  He is a peanut and has regained his birth weight and now weighs 4lbs 7oz.  Yesterday morning, I walked into the nursery and immediately heard a baby crying.  I told my mom that I thought it was Eli.  Sure enough, he was screaming his little lungs out.  It is so funny how only after a week and not hearing his little cry that often yet, my mommy ears are already attune to him.  He is so precious and I pray over his little legs and feet a million times a day.

And if you see me out and about and don't recognize me...just realize that this too shall pass!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I don't know if you've heard of TriplePaste or not? It is at Walmart. When my son was a preemie, he got a BAD diaper rash from the high calorie formula...to the point of being bloody. That stuff did the trick very quickly. I had never heard of it before!
I hope your body starts behaving better soon!
You all are in my prayers, and we're close by if you need anything.

Tiff said...

I remember being in the NICU with T and knowing down the hall it was him crying! Still praying for yall!

Anonymous said...

grow baby grow!!!! Love that he is getting stronger - yeah! You will one day feel like yourself again - promise! Praying for soccer kicking, marathon running legs for Eli. I just r-read your post on the God of the Unrepairable.....

Colleen said...

Hang in there, girl. One day at a time. Get yourself healed so you can take care of Eli when he comes home!

Oh, and you're still a birthing hero! What you've done is amazing!