Friday, June 17, 2011

If we've ever needed you....

If I have said it once I have said it several times in the past few weeks, "I am so thankful that I don't know ahead of time what a day will hold."  God gives His grace when it is needed and not ahead.  Before you worry, Eli is still tucked away inside and things are going well so far with him. 

Kev left the hospital today around 12:45 to run home and see our girls who were missing mommy and daddy, pick up a few things we needed at the hospital and take a shower.  My mom, older sister, and niece came to visit with me while he left for a bit.  He also had plans to drop by Costco for diapers, milk and apple juice...you know the necessities!  He walked out the door and told me he loved me as he closed the door.

At 1:02 my cell rang and it was Kev.  He said in a very shaky voice, "Julie, something bad has happened.  I have been in a terrible wreck.  I am hurt very badly."  I think I first thought he was joking because if you know Kevin, it would be possible....although he wouldn't normally do something like that with me in pre-term labor.  Then I could hear the fear in his voice and said, "We have to call 911 not me!"  It was one of those freak out moments that you never want to live.  I tried asking him where he was hurting, if he was bleeding, and said over and over that I loved him and I needed him to be okay.   He said he was hurting and bleeding a lot and thought he might be bleeding internally.  My mom called my dad and told him to get there asap and they tried to calm me while I talked to him.  I could hear sirens in the background.  He then started getting confused and was asking me where he was going and if I was still at the hospital on the 5th floor.  I was really getting concerned because he was getting very disoriented.  I then heard the medic get to him and tell him that he was lucky and that the car that had hit him head on had a fatality.  I knew it was bad and I don't know if I have ever felt so helpless in my life.

I sat on my hospital bed and his cell phone died.  His phone charger was one of the items on the list to get from the house.  Thankfully, my dad arrived on the scene and we were able to talk to him as he was with Kev.  He was bleeding really badly from his face and nose and they had to cut him out of our SUV which was totaled.  They put him in the ambulance and brought him to the same hospital that I was at.  It was misery being confined to my room knowing he was down in the ER hurting.  Thankfully, as always... God provides the fellowship of believers.  As soon as texts and messages were sent out friends gathered in the ER waiting area to be with him.  Friends and family gathered with me in my room.  I called my dad probably 100 times trying to get updates.

They did a CT and X-ray and it looked good PRAISE THE LORD!!  He is really really bruised and really really sore.  He has bruises where his seat belts restrained him.  His nose is swollen and cut and he has several abrasions.  Thankfully, after several hours he walked to my room wearing a pair of paper scrubs and looking a little different from the man who exited my room five hours earlier. 

I have never in my life been so glad to see his face to hold his hand and love on him.  He was stinky (sorry babe) and so was I. Neither of us had showered in two days (which I must say is not the norm).  He was bleeding and had blood on his clothes, skin, and shoes.  He was worn-out and still a bit in shock.  I thank God that even though it feels like we are in the midst of such strange and on-going trials and testing...that he provided protection for my sweet and Godly husband.  I praise the Lord...oh I praise the Lord,  that our girls were not in the car and I thank the Lord that he is going to be okay.

He is heartbroken over the life that was lost today.  Even though the wreck was not at all his fault....the other driver ran over a concrete median and hit him head on....he is so burdened for this man's family.  He has said over and over...I know where I am going, it should have been me.  Once again, I praise the Lord for his protection over Kevin.  His driver side airbag did not deploy although the passenger side did.  We don't know why but I am so thankful that he is okay.

Now if all of today's events didn't throw me into labor, I am thinking little Eli might just be good to hang for a while.  I think I even forgot for a while today that I am pregnant! If you feel inclined we would covet your prayers for for Kevin.  He is going to be really really sore in the next few days.  Please pray for the family of the man who lost his life today.  I cannot imagine.  Please pray for a hedge of protection around our family.  Life will settle down again, right???  I think I am forgetting what normal feels like.

If we've ever needed You
Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand
We're reaching out, we're reaching out

All our hearts, all our strength
With all our minds, we're at Your feet
Let Your church arise, let Your church arise

10 comments:

Emily said...

Julie, I found out about your story through Kelly and Jenna (via Twitter). Please know that I am praying for all 5 of you as you face the many challenges of bedrest at the hospital, Eli's Spina Bifida and now Kevin's accident. I am praying for rest, healing, patience and a renewed faith knowing that the Lord has you in the palm of His hand and will carry you through this unimaginable trial. I will definitely be following your blog from now on.

Blessings, Emily

Colleen said...

Oh my goodness!!! How scary! I'll be praying for all of you!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Oh my word... Definitely praying... God must have a MIGHTY and WONDROUS plan for your family...

Donna Faulk said...

Julie, once again, I must say, "You and your family are such a blessing, and an awesome testimony to a lot of people, especially to my family." Greg and I would like you to know that we are continuously praying for you, Kevin and your family. When I heard the news yesterday about the accident,I was heart broken,and I said,"How much more can this family go through." But,I had to remember the Lord doesn't put more on us than we can handle. Hang in there, and we will continue to pray for you, Eli, Kevin & the girls. God bless all of you!!

Sara said...

Julie,
I am a friend of your church friend, Alice Alexander. She was a huge support for me when my water broke & I was put on bedrest. She was an amazing prayer warrior for my son, who is now 19 months old. When she told me about your situation, I knew I must start praying for you & your family like she did for me. I just want you to know how much your faith has inspired me. Thank you for sharing your story. My family will continue to pray for your beautiful family.
God Bless,
Sara

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness..... praying for you all right now.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I found out about your circumstances from my cousin Angel. I wanted you to know that I am also praying for you, Eli, Kevin and the girls. I pray for His peace for you. I pray that when the storm rages you can burry your head into His chest and find His peace and comfort there. Praying for you, Misty

Heather said...

Praise God for His protection! I am so glad Kevin is ok and am saddened to hear that someone lost their life. Praying for your peace and for Kevin to heal quickly.

kroonerrater said...

Julie, I heard through the FB grapevine about Friday's accident and wanted to let you know that your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. I also wanted to let you know that I found out the gentleman that hit Kevin attended the church that my mother works at and we are certain that he went home to be with Jesus on Friday. In such a crazy time, I thought that might be comforting to know.

Rachel Platt

Helen Joy said...

I am SO thankful the girls weren't with him! Oh my word! I'm so sorry for your family and the endless trails you are facing. I'm so thankful Kevin's ok. I'm praying for you and Eli daily.
Helen Joy George