Monday, November 3, 2008

I have a confession!

Ella slept in her room at night for the first time last night..and she is almost 13months. This is something that I have struggled with for a long time. When she was born we had her in our room in a bassinet, when she out grew that we switched to a cradle, and then to a port-a-crib. I have had this fear...that she will smush her nose in the bumper, get a leg caught, the house catch on fire, or a burglar...and I can't get to her fast enough. So it just seemed safer, wiser, and I slept better with her close by. Every night we pray over her asking the Lord to surround her with his angels and watch over her throughout the night. I have to admit since losing Samuel...and then getting ella her safely...my biggest concern was SIDS! I have been terrified to walk into her room after 12+(Hopefully) hours to check on her! I ALWAYS made sure she went to sleep on her back...until I could no longer keep her on her back...and made she there were no blankets, toys or etc. in the crib. She has always napped in her room throughout the day and loves her big crib so this was not a new space for her! Kevin has been as weak on this issue as I have been. I'd have her in her bed sound asleep and when it got time for us to go to bed he'd say...let's just let her sleep in here...so off I'd go to move a sleeping child back to our room. Is that not sad or what! Needless to say last night was the night... and we both were so tired that we stuck to our guns and although I checked on her 3 times throughout the night she slept great and so did we. I think we'll try again tonight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your first year as parents!!!

I was terrified of SIDS with each baby. I can't imagine how you guys must have felt with Ella after losing Samuel. God is go good and we are so happy you made it through that first scary year with Ella. Now the real trouble comes with fits and curiosity! LOL You guys are in my prayers often.

WhitneyB said...

I don't blame you one bit. It's so comforting to have our little ones near by and hear their little sighs in the middle of the night...that's why I'm so excited about the video monitor!! ...but I digress... I'm proud of you for taking the big step and I am praying for complete peace for you and Kevin each and every night. (of course we know Ella will be sleeping great!)

WhitneyB said...

How did you manage to blog today after watching 4 kids?!!?