Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hair??

It is time I do something new with my hair. I am at the point where I pull it up in a bun, usually half wet, everyday...and that is the point when I need to do something to it. I have very thick, naturally wavy hair. My hair is not super curly, although I can make it go curly if I want. I normally blow dry it straight! It looks much better straight. In fact, when I wear it curly I normally regret it all day! When I wear it curly it grows and grows throughout the day into a poofy mess. I have always hated my hair! Doesn't everyone always want the kind of hair they don't have?

I have always had some sort of hair emergencies. I remember in 5th grade my mom taking us to a local beauty school for haircuts. I clearly remember the lady saying she was going to cut my bangs into a triangular shape. Her statement caused me a bit of concern even at the age of 10. She started way back on head with the point of the triangle and cut tons of wide bangs across my forehead. Yea...that took a good long while to grow out! Then there were the middle school years when my hair went from wavy to full on curly! I didn't know what to do with it and this was prior to the days of a good straightener. I remember my mom and her good friend perming it because they had heard that a perm might relax the natural curl some! Oh my! It was a mess! Then there was the day of my older sister Joy's wedding. My mom paid a lot for us to get our hair done downtown. I even went the week before and the lady practiced on it. I thought I liked it. We'll on the wedding day I hated it. I rushed home about hour or so before the wedding and threw my head under the tub facet, washed it and just wore it normally! Then there was the summer in college that I worked at a summer camp. The weekend before I left, I decided to go short for the summer! This was still prior to me using a straightener! It was a long summer of not being able to pull my hair up! Not such a good idea for someone with curly hair who has to be outside in the humidity all day!

I will never forget the first time I used a straightener...a good one! I think my little sis actually did it! It was quite life changing I must admit. I felt like a new person. I could run my fingers through my silky hair! It was though I had been given a whole new lease on life!

So, back to my title. I have been growing my hair out since last June. I did get a trim in October. Generally, I grow it out just to get it cut again and then repeat the cycle! It is not long yet, but is in long layers past my shoulders. Ideally I'd love to grow it long and be able to wear it naturally in long wavy layers. This would be easy but I don't really know if it would look good. I have done this before and used a curling iron to make some of my wacky waves look better. It's fast and can dry naturally.

I have also been thinking about getting it professionally straightened. Not the super expensive kind of straightener that cost a small fortune, but just a normal chemical relaxer. I still might need to use my straightener a little, but I think it would be easier and less time consuming.

I have also been thinking about going short again. I always see cute shorter styles that look polished and sophisticated and I often feel quite the opposite...esp. with a wet bun!

My hubby has no preference! We'll actually he does...his preference is whatever will get us out of the house the fastest!

I know...all this about hair! I am sure no one really cares in the least how I wear my hair, but sometimes it is a hard decision! So, have you ever had your hair chemically straightened?? Was it worth it or was it a waste of time and money! I am gonna call my hair lady this week! Decisions...decisions!!

2 comments:

eastandwest said...

Kevin's preference made me laugh.

You truly have some of the most beautiful hair of anyone I know. No kidding- it is gorgeous long, short, curly, straight, up, down!

My sister-in-law gets the Japanese straightening done about twice a year and LOVES it. I think her hair is beautiful curly or straight too but with two little ones it makes her life much simpler.

carissa said...

i'm right there with you! i think i remember us having a hair conversation a while back. i so want to cut my short and do something trendy which will cut back on drying time, but i'm such a chicken. my hair is up in a pony every single day! i can't wait to see what you decide. let us know what you do. i'm so very curious about the chemical straightener! no matter what, your hair rocks. i've never seen it look anything less than beautiful!