Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I used to be a Clean Freak...







and then I had Kids!! Today I read on another blog where they were talking about listing your cleaning and organizing tips. I am an organizer. It is strange because I don't feel that either of my parents are this way, ut I have been this way since I was a child. I can clearly remember grocery shopping with my mom as a child and always trying to organize the cart. You know...all the boxed items together, the cans stacked...and so forth! This drove her crazy...I do remember that and I clearly understand why now!! (Grocery shopping with kids is never easy, even on a good day!) As a child I always liked my "stuff" and I didn't want my sisters to mess with it! Yes, I am sure I was a bit of a brat!

This is an aspect of motherhood that I am learning to..."manage!" The feeling of never having everything clean is somewhat....challenging for those of us who are a bit OCD. The endless cycle of recleaning what was just cleaned is so tiresome! I told Kevin a while back if we ever got really rich, I wouldn't really want to change anything in my life except to hire a maid. Sad thing is I'd probably be cleaning before and after too! (I just wanted to interject here that I do not mind anyone else's clutter, mess, or disorganization...I just mind my own!)

I do have a few things that I try to do periodically to minimize and calm my clutter!

1)Once a year I go through the entire house...closets, drawers, etc. and pull out any junk/trash etc. I try to cover one room a day or two so it isn't completely overwhelming. I keep a Rubbermaid container inside and just start piling it in and this becomes our garage sale stuff! I think if you haven't used it worn it or like it...get rid of it!!! You wouldn't believe how freeing and wonderful you can feel after a decluttering session! (Just be warned it is harder to do with kids and you have to make a mess in order to get it organized!!)

2) I clean my house each week! Usually every Thursday or Friday. I am talking, vacuuming, mopping, dusting etc. My mom always did this every Thursday, so now I feel as though it is some unsung rule. Actually, it helps things to not get too dirty and grungy! (This is also harder with kids...I often do it when they are asleep and night or resort to some video time!)
3)I touch up throughout the week. I quickly wipe down counters, run the dishwasher daily, throw in some laundry, and do daily pick-ups. (This makes my big cleaning days a little less overwhelming!)

4) Usually twice a year I make us a big to do list. This usually contains things that need getting done around the house/yard that I need Kev's help with! I think it helps for him to have a "honey do list" to see what I need done...and prevents me from barking orders! We both like crossing off a list too!

5)Believe it or not all of our toys to have a "spot!' We have a container for blocks, play food, baby stuff, etc. Ella does really well helping to put the toys back where they go! Her daddy...not so much! (He hates my containers!)
6)We have certain toys that stay in certain rooms for the most part! I hate when you have pieces of random toys all over the house! Ella would surely drag them all over but is learning that the puzzles stay in her room and the doll house stays in the playroom, for example!
7) Once or twice a year we decide to eat up all the things we already have rather than buying more groceries. Example, the Bisquick and RITZ crackers that have been sitting there for way too long. I try to find recipes in which I can use up things! It sometimes makes for some interesting meals! It is always fun to go grocery shopping again after doing this for a week or two. It also helps to clean out some of the clutter in the kitchen.

These are just some of the things that have helped me to not be continually overwhelmed by caring for a home. It is such a big job! I hope they are helpful to you!

6 comments:

carissa said...

i can totally relate!!! i'd rather have a dirty house with lots of kids. : )

Amy Prikazsky said...

Hey, you have kids...Your house isn't always going to look perfect. I don't have kids and my house is never clean all the time..You have some great cleaning tips! I love them and may need to take on some of them myself. Have a great Wed!

Beth Priest said...

ok I am leaving this comment and heading straight over to my dresser to throw out my old things and things I don't wear...I have been meaning to organize it!

I used to be a clean freak too! Since having both my girls I NEVER have my house all clean at one time! It drives me nuts!

I try to have toys that stay in a certain room but I never feel like fighting the battle when it comes down to inforcing that! Darby likes to collect random things in purses and bags ( I don't know what her reasons or methods are I just watch ) then she may want to take it with us in the car...that is the worst! I just try to remember this is just a season...soon enough she will be able to really help me clean it all up!

Jessica said...

I'm laughing bc your house is really clean compared to most.. even with toys all over the place...like the closet. I'm sure your little sis drove u crazy always trying to use your hair care products, lotions, clothes etc....I think you have now rubbed off on me! thanks for the tips.. we are planning a dejunking this summer... AFTER disney!

The Carters said...

I died laughing reading the part about your organizing your mom's groceries in the cart!!

It's hard to keep the house straight with kids, but sounds like you have it under control most of the times :)

The Tylers said...

I am laughing so hard right now. I can TOTALLY relate. I sometimes wonder how I ever thought my house was 'dirty' when I didn't have kids. My problem now is that I get to the point where the entire house goes to pot because I feel so exhausted from cleaning the kids stuff...not to mention the dog hair & slobber..ugh.