Thursday, July 16, 2009

Kelly's Blog Children's Parties

Kelly's blog this week is featuring children's parties. Although I am not linking this to her blog I thought I'd share ella's first party! I really spent a lot of time thinking and planning her first birthday! It was so exciting to me and a chance go all out! I seriously worked for months! I went with a pink and green polka-a-dot theme. It was a hot, fall day and one that I will never forget.

I decided to make as many of the decorations as I could. I got a lot of my ideas from etsy and other blogs and in my usual attempt to save money (actually I don't care so much about the saving but I knew what I wanted for her first party and knew if I wanted all that I'd have to make it myself!) I used lots of cute scrapbooking paper and saved lots of money rather than chunking money on cheap party supplies. I saved everything so yes eliza will someday have a pink and green polka-a-dot party herself. I made the cakes, cupcakes, and food. We borrowed the tent, tables, and chairs from our church (we have some good connections!) My one splurge thing was that we hired a family friend who is a photographer to take the pictures. I knew I wouldn't have time to take them and I wanted Kev and I to get to enjoy watching ella and I didn't want to not have pictures. I am so glad I did this. I may always consider doing this! I bought her cute cupcake outfit from a consignment store when she was about 3 months old. I saw it and knew it was worth saving! Her cute puddle jumper shoes came used from ebay! I say all that to say that you can have a cute, cute party and stay on a budget...it just takes a lot of work!

I am now thinking of her second party which is actually right around the corner. We will be having it early this year because I don't want to have a newborn at the party! She is going to have a pink and brown monkey party! I have been collecting cute things for a while now. It may be more low-key this year but I still want to make it cute and special. I am debating if I want to invite a few of her friends or just keep it to family again! Our families equal a pretty large crowd so we may just do one or two friends. I recently saw the idea of inviting as many friends as your child's age. I thought that may be a good idea. Ok...now for the pics. Remember these are from last year. She looks so little!


Good ole betty Crocker cake mix!

Costco dozen roses, 1 yard of wal-mart fabric cut into squares and a spool of ribbon!

Scrapbooking paper to make the napkin rings and it was fall so we had candy apples!

Party hats made from Scrapbooking paper and thin elastic!


The tent and my Happy Birthday sign made from scrapbooking supplies!

Yes, I did pick out his outfit to match ours! He is so agreeable!

Bib and Birthday crown! I wanted to order these...but instead I found a how to make them on-line!

The cakes. I used a small Wilton cake pan and made two layers!

And last but not least my most precious birthday girl!

No comments: