Monday, July 13, 2009

Do it Yourself Crib Sheet

If you have been reading my blog you know that I am attempting to sew some of my crib bedding in order to save some $$$! So far I have finished the crib sheet and the curtain! They were both relatively easy (and I am a beginner) and they each took just one evening! I now have the crib skirt and quilt left...which are the most intimidating to me!

I did buy a pattern but really didn't use it at all! I found some good tutorials on-line and they were the most helpful! Patterns to me are like reading a foreign language (even the ones that are supposed to be for dummies!)

Here are my steps:
1. Wash and dry your fabric so it will shrink before you sew it!
2. Cut a 45 by 70 inch rectangle. (I found several different measurements on-line!)

3. Cut out a 9 inch square out of paper of scrap fabric for a template! (I also found several diff. sizes for this too!)

4. Cut a 9 inch square out of each of the four corners. Your sheet will look like this.


5. Iron your ends under all around! There is a fancy sewing term for this....but just fold 1/4 under and iron and then 1/4 under again so that when you sew there will be no stray ends to fray.
6. Sew around your sheet.




7. Now for a french seem. This is a fancy way to say a way to have a good closed seem. You are going to sew parts where you cut out the squares to forms the pockets of your sheet! You sew the the two right sides tog. which feels like you are really messing up. Then trim any excess. Flip to the back and sew the wrong sides. When you open it...it will be right!
8.Elastic! This was the part I was the most unsure about as i have had very little exp. using elastic. You cut (4) 10 inch strips of 1/4 in. elastic. You will fold the elastic in half and match the middle of the elastic to the french seem you just created! Start in the middle and use a zig-zag stitch and sew over the elastic as you pull it! This is all you do. Make sure to back stitch your ends. Do this to each corner.




9. You now have a crib sheet! Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

The Carters said...

I'm impressed! It looks great. I'm sure you'll have no problem with the quilt and skirt. Amy Shirley led a bible study one time and we made quilt pillows as a project. It wasn't too bad. And if I can do that, you can definitely make a quilte :)