Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Joy!

Today is my sister Joy's Birthday! I feel very blessed to have been given two sweet sisters! I have been thinking a lot about the "sister" relationship as I am about to be the mother of two sisters just barely two years apart. I am already preparing for lots of drama, arguments over clothing and shoes, comparisons, but best of all two lifelong friends.

Joy and I are 2 1/2 years apart and yes that makes me still very young in comparison! Funny how I always wanted to be older like her until I got into my mid 20's and then I was glad to be a little younger! In my opinion the sister relationship is often a very complex and deep one! Joy and I spent a large portion of our lives sharing a room, bed, friends, and even clothes...which really caused quite a bit of drama back in the day! We look completely different (she got the dark skin, hair and eyes and I got the red hair, fair and freckled skin and blue eyes...so funny how those different combinations come out...and yes we have the same two parents!) Our personalities are also very different in many ways. Although we have our differences, I am thankful for the many memories and experiences we've shared throughout the years.

So as I await the arrival of ella's little sister....I am already praying for their relationship. I am praying that they will love each other. I am praying that they will celebrate their differences and unique qualities and learn to be who God made them to be. I pray that they will one day learn to share toys and clothes. I pray that they will grow to be two Godly young women who will care for each other, call each other and always be close friends. I pray for strength and help for me as I know a little about what this sisterhood relationship is all about....and all that is to come!

So...Happy Birthday Joy! Thanks for being a sweet and caring big sis and for helping me learn this sister thing!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Ah, what a sweet sister you are! :) Unfortunatley I had to grow up with 2 older brothers, :( I was a bit of a tomboy! :)