Monday, May 24, 2010

Potty Training

***Editted to add...I am by no means an expert, just glad to have survived!!***

Last week I bit the bullet on something I'd been putting off for a while. In my mind, I'd planned on potty training ella around 23 months just before eliza arrived. I figured she'd be ready and it would be easier to only have one in diapers. Well, just about that time I took a friend's advice and decided not to rock the boat....and I am so glad I waited!



Before potty training her, I have to admit that I was very nervous! I read from all of my child rearing books about the "how's" and the "whens!" I read how to train your child in ONE day, how to train your child in THREE days. I talked to my friends about this and to my sister and mom who are much more experienced. I even read some great blogs about this! I kept telling Kevin that I was starting on Monday, but when Monday would come...I'd push it out another week!



I knew we had our big Disney trip coming so I decided to wait until that was over, and then we got home and that Monday I was swamped with lots of laundry and stuff to put away from the trip! So, last Monday I set my mind to "getter done!"



Ella has been pottying lots on her own initiative. In fact she'd say, "Mommy, I want a surprise...I go potty all myself." And she'd walk into the bathroom and go all by herself. We determined that she was ready...it was mommy who needed to be ready!



So last Monday morning I was up early. I was showered and prepped with a princess potty crown, stickers, and lots of prizes. I was prepared for a day full of accidents and lots of running to the potty! Ella blew me away! She stayed dry in her panties the entire first day! We did do tons of running to the potty...seriously like every 5-10 minutes! It was a lot of work...esp. with eliza! I had prepared to stay at home most of the week because I think that helps, but by the end of the week we did venture out a little! We had about three/four little accidents all week and I am so glad that the first week is over.



She is doing better at holding it longer and going by herself...even when mommy was in the shower! I am thankful to get over this hurdle with her with my sanity still in tack. Now we just have to work on her fear of public restrooms!!



These things were helpful for her:

1)Waiting until she was older. I think she was physically capable earlier but she needed to be older to "want" to use the potty like a big girl. A few times we tried it earlier she'd say, "No thanks I want my diaper!" It was a battle that I didn't want to fight!



2) She wants to go to preschool at our church so bad next year. She says, "I go to school like my cousins. I take my book bag and my lunchbox!" We told her that she had to learn to use the potty so that she's be ready to go to school. Things like this work for her!



3)I got a book at Target called Princess Potty. It came with a crown to make and jewel stickers. The book is by far not the best of children's literature...but ella did like earning the stickers for her crown. We've also read several other books about learning to potty!



4) I had lots of surprises. I had candy surprises and some bigger (dollar section) from Target surprises. This was def. motivating for her!



5) We put all of the diapers in a trash bag. I did not throw them away, but she thinks we did. I wasn't giving her the option of wearing one or me the option of getting frustrated and putting one on her!



6) We have used pull-ups for nighttime, church, and long outings. So far she is doing great not using them as a diaper and keeping them dry! I know many say to not use them at all, but for me I just an not ready to venture out too far yet! (Maybe next week!)



7)We praised her and praised her praised her for even the smallest little dribbles. We might have gone overboard because she started saying,"Yes, I'm awesome!" We'll tackle humbleness another day!

8)We carried a potty in our van. This was one of those things that I claimed I'd never do when I was a parent but yes, have a potty...will travel. It works...it's easy...it's clean. Please Lord don't let that potty spill! I am just waiting for that to happen!

9)I always tried to put her in charge of telling me when she had to go. I'd say, "Make sure you tell mommy when you need to potty." Rather than, "Do you need to potty?" This worked great because she knows and is in control and I am not bugging her continually! I have been shocked at how pretty much every time she said she needed to go, she has!

Way to Go Elles! Mommy and Daddy are super proud of our big girl!

Thankful to just have one in diapers...but I must say that diapers are def. easier!!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yes, diapers are a LOT easier, especially in those beginning phases of potty training! It does get better over time, but it never fails that they always have to go when you're in the very back of Target with a very full cart. Or when you're in the check-out line with all your groceries already loaded on the conveyor - that was Syd's favorite moment to ask to go potty:) Congratulations on the good week, and Good luck! :)

The Tylers said...

That is awesome! We are about to tackle (or at least attempt) to tackle it with Ellison. Thomas potty trained himself so we are praying for the same with Ellison (I sincerely doubt she will be as easy). I totally agree with you that MOM needs to be ready :) I just love your blogs!