Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two weeks and adjusting!

Today was my first solo outing with both girls. We had to go to the a lab and have a little more blood work done on miss Eliza. Her thyroid levels in her newborn screening came back slightly elevated and so they are re-checking it again. We are praying that everything will be perfectly normal this time and we won't have to ever think about it again!

We are adjusting to having a newborn. I have felt so much more tired this time around...or maybe I just forgot how tired I was last time. Everyone keeps reminding me that it is because I have a toddler too. Eliza is such a great baby so far. She is sleeping great for being a 2 week old and is very content..unless she is getting her diaper changed. Ella seems to really love her and did not like the lab tech poking her baby today. She has surprised us in how well she has done! She usually asks to hold her once or twice a day. She loves to hold her hands and sing, "Ashes ashes, we fall down!" She likes to know where she is at all times, esp. when she wakes up from a nap and she likes her to be where we are. Oh, and she is still calling her Titus. I know one day we will laugh with her about it but really it is a little frustrating at times. Today at the lab she kept calling her her Titus and the sweet foreign lab tech who spoke little English was somewhat confused. She asked me several times what her name was. I tried to explain that Ella was calling her sister by her cousin's name...but I don't think she understood. Oh well!

I think some of the more challenging things about having two little ones is getting them safely up and down stairs, in and out of cars, and inside the house. I feel like I don't have enough arms! I am always worried about ella taking off or having to leave Eliza waiting! Another challenging thing has been the amount of time consumed with feeding Eliza while Ella is playing. She is doing great playing independently and I am so proud of her ,but my oh my we are making some big ole messes! We are also going through lots of diapers. I have no clue how many but it is a ton! I wanted to get Ella potty trained before Eliza was born, but she wasn't all that interested... so we just waited. I also figured it might be easier changing diapers than running her to the potty a million times a day! We'll work on that this winter!

So far I have loved having two little girls to dress in cute clothes! I love watching Ella love her little sis and look forward to watching their relationship develop! I also love riding in the car and looking back and seeing them both. I think I have said before that after we lost Samuel I'd often be driving in my car thinking, crying, pleading to the Lord for more children. It was often when I was alone in the car that I dealt with the reality we were living. Itseemed like then that it would be an eternity until we'd have one child and the thought of having two seemed like an endless dream. I knew the Lord would one day bless us but the waiting was painfully hard. Now, I love to I look back into the back seat and see them both. I feel so blessed, so fulfilled and so content with my family!

2 comments:

eastandwest said...

Congrats to you guys on your new sweet little blessing. On the parking lot thing, someone told to make a game of Grace standing on "the white line" while I get Moli out and that has always worked. We can't wait to meet sweet little Eliza/Titus. Ella is going to be a great big sis!

Cameron said...

You made me cry! I love reliving those first few days with two. Another thing we did (and still do) in the parking lot is to get Matthew to hug my leg while I get Austin settled (or vice versa now that they're bigger). I'm so happy for you! Praying for sleep and energy!