Monday, March 9, 2009

We survived our family vacation!

No I haven't fallen off the face of the earth...I know all my few readers were so worried! :) We left last Monday for a week in Orlando,FL. Last year when Kevin was on his work trip he got a great deal on a vacation package at a wonderful resort...so we saved it for our vacation this year. I have to admit that I am not so much a vacation kind of girl. I mean...I do enjoy them...I really do....but I hate the packing, unpacking, and being away from home/family/friends for a while always makes me feel strangely out of the loop! I also was really fearing the almost 7 hour drive with ella. I mean sometimes a ride to target..a few miles away...can be quite an experience. What about all her cups (about 3 per day) and snacks and lots of meals in restaurants (now I was really fearful!)

Needless to say we needed a getaway and some family time...and we packed up and headed off last Monday. I sat in the back seat and provided hours of entertainment while Kev listened to his i-pod with seminary lectures. Ella and I read the 7 books I brought about 50 times each...and although I love her love for books...I really do...after a few hours I really wanted a break. We made it to Jacksonville and stopped for lunch. Kev was proud that we'd made it that far without having to stop. We let ella play at Chick-fli-A and then headed on to our destination. Thankfully at this point she was ready to nap she slept for almost the remainder of the trip. I was so thankful to arrive and have the drive behind us! We were so proud of ella for being such a good rider...mind you I had lots of supplies (suckers, crackers, cookies, juice, and oh yes..paci whenever she wanted..which is not the norm!) But it worked and we arrived at the swanky JW Marriott at the Ritz Resort. I made sure to inform ella that this was also not the norm and that we are more of a Holiday Inn kind of family...and to not expect such luxury on every vacation.


ella breaking in the king-sized comfy bed!

We spent the week shopping, eating out, and at Disney! I told Kevin when we planned the trip that we were not going to be in Orlando and not take her to Disney. We both hadn't been in a long time too so we were excited to spend a day there as well. We headed to Disney on Wednesday and thankfully the weather warmed up a little for us. We arrived and yes it was still as magical as ever. I loved walking down main street. Ella liked the balloons they were selling everywhere. She really liked It's a Small World! She kept saying Wow! We rode some rides but to be honest waiting in a 30 min line with a 17 month old is hard...esp. when you have to park your stroller. She didn't like being held but then wanted to cut the whole line and off we'd go chasing after her...then we'd carry her back kicking and screaming. Fun times. So maybe it isn't all that magical after all! We ate lunch and I applied sunscreen to my fair little red-head and somehow she ended up wiping her eyes and getting sunscreen in her eyes. It is my fault for not bringing the stick sunscreen....I really did bring everything but the kitchen sink though! By the end of the day her eyes were red, swollen, and pouring water! She didn' t even want to open them! That is when we decided our day at Disney had come to an end. I think we'll wait until she is a little older before we go back but it was an overall fun experience. Her eyes were back to normal by the next day as well!



This is ella in Minnie's House!
Ella watching the parade and a tired little minne!

Ella's reaction to "It's A Small World"
Oh course we had to eat at Giordano's Pizza! It was Yummy!



We also enjoyed eating at the Rainforest Cafe! Ella loved all the animals! We had a great vacation and nice long ride home. I am thankful for God's safety and protection over us all while we were gone. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

1 comment:

eastandwest said...

I'm glad y'all had a great time. Did you make the Minnie dress? It is so cute! I forgot to tell you that there were Giordano's shoe stores in China. Not exactly a name we were expecting to see!