Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Musing

Kev and I don't do big gift giving for Valentine's Day, but I like to always try to think of something. Last year I made him a steak dinner. This year I am still thinking. I have a few ideas so we'll see. I always want to give him something that he would be really excited about...but he rarely gets excited about gifts. He is the kind of guy who always says...I don't need anything, I'd rather you just save the money! That makes gift giving tons of fun!


It's so funny how life changes as you go through different stages of life. Right now we are full blown into the mommy and daddy season. Our days are busy and filled with diapers, keeping little tummies full, car seats, diaper bag packing, sippy cup toting, stroller pushing, discipline enforcing, fear comforting (ella is now scared of everything), and lots of loving mingled in between. Some days there seems to be so little of me left by the time kev gets home that I really just want to lock myself in the closet or bathroom for about 30 minutes and take some deep breaths. It is a blessed and busy season of life.


Sometimes I find myself thinking fondly about our 5 years alone prior to our kiddos. I read this poem the other day and it made me laugh!


A Musing
by Darryl and Wanda


When I think of things
we Do Without
Like Parties, Trips and Dining out


Furniture that Goes Together
vacation Homes in Sunny Weather


Like Moonlit Walks
Just you and me

(Not to mention Spontaneity)
It gets me down until I hear

That little cry from one so dear,
Reminding us we're needed now

to kiss and soothe a furrowed brow
Because our lifestyle's rearranged

We dream of life before it changed
But wouldn't trade all this COMMOTION
For any of that wistful Notion!


Happy Valentine's Day!
And we wouldn't change it either...although a quiet dinner or relaxing vacation sounds really really nice!

2 comments:

carissa said...

so cute and oh so very true! : ) kelly and i were talking last night about valentine's gifts and how we never have really done anything special except for our first year of marriage. after that, there were college bills to pay, and now a baby and another baby on board! but hey, i wouldn't have it any other way! and who really needs a cheap gold heart necklace or the calories of chocolates?!!!

Helen Joy said...

Sweet little poem. I have always been pretty against Valentines Day. But this year, I'll take any excuse for a date!