Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Big Scary Vacuum

So I am usually not a deep and meaningful thinker...but I have been trying, as I have recently gone through the bible study Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer....to listen more when God is speaking to me. The other day as I was vacuuming the Lord spoke to me. Our old, heavy, and yes very ugly, green vacuum has proven to be...might I say terribly scary to our little Ella. In fact, it doesn't even have to be on to scare her. The other week I got it out and never got it done, and so it sat in our hallway ALL week. It's presence scared poor Ella girl all week long. Every time we'd walk down the hallway she'd just stare at that ugly old thing and refuse to crawl past it. It's so funny because to her I guess it is a giant, green, mean monster...not that she even knows what a monster is yet! This past Thursday I was trying to get my housework done early and actually complete it all for once and I still needed to vacuum. It was almost Ella's bedtime and Kev was working outside in the yard, and so I knew if I was going to get the job done I better just do it. Rather than just make Ella suffer through I decided to try holding her. Let me add here that our vacuum is heavy and I always feel like I have had a good work-out upon completion...and my type A personality won't let me miss any corners or spaces...I want it all covered...so I got out the big green monster...picked miss E up and began vacuuming! She didn't even make a whimper, grimace or even a little cry. In fact, she was happy and just held on as mommy took her for a fun ride! It was then that the Lord reminded me that my presence with Ella was making all the difference. In my arms she felt secure despite the fact that her one and only fear was roaring so close below. He reminded me that I too need to cling to Him with my fears and only then will I find peace and security! (And even enjoy this ride called LIFE!) Just as Ella's mommy my presence makes a difference...God being my heavenly father...His presence should make ALL the difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay-this blog makes mine seem a bit shallow. I'll have to dig a little deeper next time. Do you think you can designate Wed to come clean my house?