Monday, June 21, 2010

lately

We had a fun and busy weekend...but aren't they all that way!  It sure seems so at our house!  I was thinking the other day that I must either be getting older or more mature or maybe I just need a little break.  I was thinking about how I used to never like the travel part of traveling.  You know the long ride in the car.  In this stage of life, I am finding myself enjoying a few hours with everyone strapped in their seats, confined to one small space, when mommy can relax for a bit.  I assure you it is not due to the fact that our girls are super travelers either...but they do nap really well in the car...and so do I!

I feel like this stage of life is full on mommy mode.  I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.  Kev and I had a long talk on Saturday, because it is easy in this stage of life to rush through our evenings with dinner, bath time, bedtimes, and then we both are so tired and stressed that we just crave some alone time.  When I say alone time I am not meaning alone as us together, but individually.  He likes to unwind by lifting weights and working out and I unfortunately like to unwind by watching TV or getting on the computer.  I think we both have realized that we need to work harder at this.  I remember the days when we were dating that I would sit beside him and watch hockey or football for hours, just so that we could spend time together.  I am not saying that I necessarily want to do that now, but now it really takes an effort on both of our parts to spend time together.  I think this stage in parenting can be rough on marriages for the single fact that you give and give and give until you feel spent.  I don't want to leave the leftovers of me for him (the tired, grouchy and bossy me)!   

Eliza will be 9 months old tomorrow.  Do you think anyone will notice if I slip a few rocks in her diaper for her 9 mth check-up?  Lil peanut is little and although everyone says, "She's just going to be petite," since I am the only one who feeds her, I feel like it is somehow my fault that she is tiny.  I know she is growing and learning and so I am not concerned about that...just hoping she is getting what she needs. 

Ella is...(not quite sure how to finish that sentence!)  She bouts between being so loving, sweet, and helpful to very difficult many times throughout the day.  Last week we went with a friend to the water park.  I just took her and left Eliza with my mother in law.  We had such a fun time together.  She was such a good listener and it was a really good day.  I think I even made the comment, "I think all of our consistent disciplining is finally paying off!"  (When will I learn to just never make comments like that!)  So I decided to venture out to her first real movie the following day with both girls.  Let's just say that I ate my words as I carried two girls to the car...one having a major meltdown (I mean major as in a kicking screaming tantrum) over the concession stand and games.  Thankfully, the movie was free!  If you saw that, I do indeed apologize and assure you that the situation was taken care of!

One thing I know is I really need the Lord as I try to be a Godly mother.  It is demanding and sometimes really stressful.  Some days I feel spent and needy myself.  I know without a doubt that this is the hardest, best and most important job that I will ever have!

And because no one likes a post without pics...
Mommy and Eliza at the park!


















Daddy and Ella watching the World Cup...aka Ella stalling bedtime!















Eliza doesn't like flash! She does this whenever I get
the camera out!



















This is called Where's Eliza! Ella was trying to help...I think!




1 comment:

The Carters said...

I so relate to this post!! It is nice to just be in the car with everyone buckeled in and know you really don't have to worry about them for a few minutes - just drive :)

And the alone time is something I crave for. I do need to work on it being more time with Rickey than just the computer.

And Drew is doing me in with his temper tantrums. "this too shall pass" - i hope!

I love your posts! It makes me realize I'm not the only one going through these phases in life.