Wednesday, March 14, 2012

8 months

On Monday our little man turned 8 months.  His adjusted age is 6 1/2 months.  It is hard to believe that it has already been 8 months since that big day in the midst of a long hospital stay.  Last week we also hit the one year mark from when we recieved Eli's diagnosis with Spina Bifida.  It is surely a day that will be forever etched in my mind. 

First, a little Eli update.  At 8 months Eli is now sitting up pretty well on his own.  In PT this week we are working on side sitting and sitting with his legs bent.  When he sits he keeps his legs straight out and so we are narrowing his base to make it a little harder and help him to sit better.  His PT has been upped to every week now since he is getting older and to the point where he will need it even more.  We have also added in OT too and should have that evaluation soon. 

In the last week or so his little legs have gotten stronger and a little better at bearing weight.  I noticed it first on my own when working with him one morning.  I stood him up as I always do (with lots of support and he planted his little legs and locked his knees.  Our PT felt that he was stronger too and so I knew it just wasn't my wishful thinking.  We have a long, long way to go but I am thankful for any progress.  This is truly and answer to prayer because I must ask the Lord 100 times a day to strengthen his legs. 

He also got his first pair of teeny, tiny afo's this month.  They keep his right ankle from rolling and definitely give him extra support in his lower legs. This is the beginning of a lifetime of him wearing them.  They also make his feet and legs pretty sweaty.  I hate that he will be so hot in them in the summer and I sure wish his little feet could wear crocs and sandals.  It is just part of life that we will all adjust to.

I have continued to monitor his head circumference in between neuro appointments and the rate of growth has drastically slowed down since January.  We praise the Lord for this.  Although hydrocephalus can develop at any time, the longer we can go without it the better the chance is that he won't develop it.

Little man is not a big fan of baby food.  He was doing good until he got RSV back in February and that was a big set-back.  We are finally making progress, but he shakes his head NO everytime I initially try to get him a bite.  The good news is that he is no longer crying and is now moving it around in his mouth and swallowing...so that is good.  He does love his milk and when I pump he does good at holding his own bottle.

Uh, mama are you just gonna take pictures or help me!
My two best boys!!
He continues to be such a sweet and loving little boy.  He loves to be held and snuggled and is a very happy baby.  He loves to watch is sisters and can now wave.  We love him so and pray that he will be all that God wants him to be.

I have tried to write a post about being 1 year post his diagnosis about 4 times, but still can't find the words to sum up my feelings.  Going to try again another day. 

4 comments:

The Carters said...

What sweet beautiful kids they are!! So glad to hear Eli legs are getting stronger. Praying that he continues to make great strides - I know he will!

Heather said...

Love the pix! So glad to hear his legs are getting stronger and pray they continue!

Christin K said...

I love his happy smile! He is just so cute and he just is growing up way to fast!!

Chelsea Gour said...

Love the update! He is such a doll....FYI, I know it's not the same as having bare feet in crocs, but Claire can and does wear crocs with her AFOs. They are great for the pool (she swims in them so she can also walk around the pool), the beach and any muddy places she walks! I just took her to the store and got the pair that would fit over the braces. Of course, I would save that for when Eli is walking and is more sure footed because they take a little more effort than the shoes that come with the braces, IMO.