Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why him??

Tonight I am writing from a place of frustration and discouragement.  I often avoid my blog when I feel this way...but hey, it is part of the journey and tonight I need to sort through the hurt that I am feeling.   I am so in love with our little boy and that there is the hard part.  His sweet little face, his precious little smiles, the way he calms to my voice and knows I am his mommy.

Today we had yet another appointment downtown at the ortho.  Honestly all these appointments are really beginning to wear on us.  They require a lot of planning, rushing like chickens with our heads cut off,  and they take forever. We have had so many lately and I don't see them slowing down for a while.  Today we went for Eli's second set of cast.  The first set really helped at first, but after about 3 days we really began to see a lot of regression.  Our physical therapist really wanted to get another set on soon so that we didn't lose what had been corrected.

 At his appointment this morning the doctor mentioned wanting to do a procedure to cut/lengthen his tight heel cord. I knew this was very likely as it was very tight.  Then he said he'd like to do it today prior to the casting.  I really didn't know what to say.  I am no expert.  I have been warned about doctors wanting to operate too much and to beware...but it seemed rather non-invasive.  In fact, he said he could do it in the office without anesthesia.  We decided to go ahead and prayed for wisdom as we were making a quick decision. 

We rushed home, fed the girls and rushed back downtown to the hospital.  I couldn't watch and had to walk out and thankfully daddy held Eli's hand.  The good thing is that he didn't cry...the bad news is that he didn't cry. Clearly, he had no feeling in that part of his heel/ankle.  I stood outside the door praying for a scream...and yet praying he wouldn't.  Sometimes this journey still knocks the wind out of me. 

Some days I think if I could just wake up and Eli not have spina bifida...life would be perfect...almost as if I could live again.   I find myself angry and jealous of people who are living life "seemingly" easily.  People who have happy pregnancies and healthy children.  People who have babies who kick and move their toes.  I have lately felt the urge to walk up to random strangers and tell them how lucky they are that their baby can fan and spread their sweet little toes. 

If I hear one more time that taking folic acid will prevent spina bifida I may just scream!!!  If the genetic center sends me one more letter asking for an interview, our blood samples and offers to pay me for taking my vitamins...I may go overboard.  I...DID...EVERYTHING...RIGHT!  Yes, that is me screaming at the computer.

I often wonder what my life would have been like had I gotten pregnant and had four healthy kids...I cannot imagine.  I know God has and will continue to use our struggles to bring him glory.  I have no doubt that through his disability Eli will bring God glory.  Tonight...I just wish for easy.  I just wish normal.  I just wish it I could take it all away.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

Sigh. Yeah.

eastandwest said...

Julie, I am so sorry that anyone has made you feel less than the wonderful mommy that you are. We continue to pray for you and sweet Eli, fearfully and wonderfully made.

Stephanie said...

I can't imagine. We continue to lift your little family up to the LORD. No one who knows anything about you thinks any of this was your "fault". We all know you and Kevin are the PERFECT parents for Eli and you will do everything you can for him! Much love, the Dotson Family

sl said...

Bless your heart! I found your blog thru another one. Praying for you in KY. You are such good parents. Wanting the best for your child. I can not image what you are going through.

Heather said...

I am SO sorry, Julie. It is HARD being a Mommy to a little guy who is just not quite like everyone else. It is hard having to go to so many doctor appointments. I am praying that God will continuously direct you to the right people and that He will give you the peace you need. He knows I can do it even though I feel overwhelmed, and He knows you can do it even if you feel like it's too much.
A lot of women have done everything wrong while pregnant and still gotten "perfect" babies. It is frustrating, but I have to keep holding to the hope that God made him just as he needed to be to do just what He called him to do. Doesn't make it any easier, but it does give hope and sometimes some peace. Praying for you guys.

Katie and Whitney said...

Looks like you and I are in a similar place. I get it and I'm crying with you over our sweet precious boys.

Em said...

We've all been praying for you! I remember when we were in Look Up and got a call saying to pray for you, because they thought you might have the baby too early. We all love you very much! Jesus loves you Mrs. Julie!
-Emily (and the rest of the CBC youth)

Anonymous said...

Julie - being a mom to a kid with a disability is the hardest thing around - period. There is no perfect - except for the God we serve. Our kids imperfections just happen to be more noticeable. Give yourself permission to walk away from the people who talk about "folic acid" - or whatever helpful advice they try to offer. It's ok to turn away. God knit Eli together - to take his place in God's perfect plan. It hurts to watch sometimes and it is so hard - but it is not your fault. Nor is it God's. Eli is just as perfect as the next kid - even more so.

Thank you for being honest about how hard this is - being real and being able to praise God through it is a beautiful testimony,